Grown up in Austria surrounded by classical music, which is reflected by an education of the piano on the university “Mozarteum”, Stefan Oberthaler showed an early interest in jazz music and improvisation.
As a teenager he attended performances of jazzleaders including Herbie Hancock, Chick Corea, Carla Bley, Steve Coleman and Pat Metheney. The rhythm, feeling and sounds, and also the biographies of musicians like Thelonious Monk, Miles Davis or John Coltrane gave him a deep inside into this kind of music. This finally led him to the university of jazz in Linz/Austria, where he finished the degree „Bachelor of Arts“ with excellence.
His compositions are very much in the Nu-Jazz mold, with ambient and minimalistic leanings. Atmospheries are what its all about: “To improvise with minimalistic soundscapes and electronic drumsounds in a reduced way, but with a very deep sense – that`s what Nu-Jazz means to me”.
- Remix Virus 01/EP (2012)
- Journey Man CD/Album (2011)
- Move EP (2011)
- Mother EP (2010)
- Summerbreeze / KEYMINATOR-Jazzhouse RMX (2009)
- Everythingsround / KEYMINATOR-Jazzhouse RMX (2009)
- Bandalarga / KEYMINATOR-Jazzhouse RMX (2009)
- Landscapes / KEYMINATOR-Jazzhouse RMX (2008)
- Landscapes CD/Album (2007)
- Watchtower CD/Album (2005)
Quotes & Testimonials
- “…Oberthaler is basically continuing the pioneering experimentations with jazz that Miles Davis and Herbie Hancock broke ground with decades ago. The commercialization of the genre, with the proliferation of smooth jazz radio causing much of the damage, has created a generation gap in the audience. Oberthaler’s innovative compositions help ensure that jazz will be appreciated by younger listeners in years to come…” (AllAbout Jazz)
- “…his futurist take on jazz reflects progressive European sensibilities but it is much more soulful and heartfelt than most genre-bending experiments…
- …Where Oberthaler succeeds and others fail is his sense of melody…” (Jazzcorner)
- “…Wieder unter dem Künstlernamen Stefan Oberthaler aka Keyminator und mit Hilfestelung der Sängerin Marina Trost warten neun Kompositionen mit innovativen Klängen und Soundstrukturen darauf entdeckt zu werden. „Es ist wichtig für mich musikalische Momente zu kreieren, die einen unweigerlich berühren, bewegen und mit der Zeit wachsen“, so der Absolvent der Jazz-Universität Linz…” (MusikVon Hier.at)